Pages

Friday, January 18, 2013

Hamlet - 4 hours too long

On Monday I went with my fiance to the Crabtree building to watch the 1996 4-hour version of Hamlet for his History of Creativity class. I had read the play before in Highschool, and after seeing it in movie form, I remembered why I didn't like reading it. I'm sorry to those Shakespeare lovers out there, but the story is way too odd and depressing for me to enjoy it. Despite this, I do think Shakespeare was a master with his language and I think the actors did a good job at portraying the dialogue they were given. I was happily surprised to see Billy Crystal though, even if his British accent was terrible! That was probably the highlight of the film.

A 4-hour film I would much prefer to watch would be the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice! Yay Colin Firth!

1 comment:

  1. I am taking a Humanities 202 class and the teacher pointed out that Shakespeare actually didn't come up with the plots for most of his plays. So when you hear Shakespeare, it is the language, wit, and pyschologcial and social commentray, which if you take time to understand I've found is quite entertaining.

    ReplyDelete