http://www.lds.org/broadcasts/watch/ces-devotionals/2013/01?lang=eng
Ok so I LOVE President Uctdorf! He is one of my most favorite speakers and I always feel like he is excellent at communicating the things in his heart and he brings up issues that are so applicable to me!
As soon as I heard the topic of his address, I thought of how the question of what truth is... is SO applicable to the media!
I love how he stated that truth is truth... is truth. Society wants us to believe that truth is subjective; that we can make our own truth in life according to how easy it is for us to believe something. I have seen many people decide(a better word might be: rationalize) that something is true because it is convenient to them and they don't want to face the hard truth.
I know that the reason our world has diminished in moral quality is because of the denial of truth. It is obvious through the types of media we allow ourselves to consume. Maybe you think that you are not affected by what you watch or what you listen to on your ipod. But don't you think that is most likely a denial of the truth as well? Would you allow yourself, or even your future kids, to act the way your favorite TV characters do? Probably not. So many people say that they "would never," but I believe we endorse amoral and twisted truths simply by watching.
I'm not saying that everything amoral shown on TV is for bad purposes (sometimes the realities of our world can support truths and make impacting points), but there is that blurry line that we need to watch out for!
I know how to solve the problem! Just read the scriptures all the time!
Those are my thoughts.
Chao for now.
Yes, the words of Christ are like a compass for us! I think most of the time people are not concerned with pushing past the superficial surface of media to understand what is real ot what is not...and if they are it is not always an easy task. But the important thing is looking for truth! The scriptures promise us that those who seek truth with real intent will ultimately find it.
ReplyDelete