Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

The Glorified Brat

I don't usually watch Disney Channel, or any TV at all really, but I was watching 3 different Disney Channel shows for our coding research project! Yay! My group is focusing on body image in child/adolescent media. It was interesting to notice how much image/good looks were mentioned during just one episode. Not only were looks and appearance mentioned a lot, all the characters in the shows seem to come from rich households where they act like complete brats to their parents and friends. It's no wonder our society is so materialistic first off when the norm on TV is for kids to have nice clothes, hair and makeup all the time. For most of America, it's just very unrealistic.

I really can't say much because I do like to watch What Not To Wear... but I will say the message about body image in that show is very positive and different than what you see on Disney Channel.



1 comment:

  1. After watching those shows on the Disney Channel, part of me doesn't want my kids to watch it because of how rude the kids were. But, I hope I can do a good enough job in the home to teach them that that behavior isn't ok, since I'm sure they will run into the bratty content at some point.

    ReplyDelete